Need Air Duct Cleaning Services?
Air Duct Cleaning
Air Duct Cleaning: The 8 Important Things That You Need to Know About
Air duct cleaning is not something that homeowners need to be done on a regular basis. In fact, it does not even have to be performed yearly. However, there are times that you really need to clean air ducts.
Are you interested in an air duct cleaning but you don’t know much about it? If so, keep on reading to learn more.
- What is Air Duct Cleaning?
In general, air duct cleaning refers to the process of removing mold, dust, and other contaminants from HVAC system ductwork. Usually, the components of the HVAC system that need to be cleaned are the following:
- Fan housing
- Fan motor
- Drip pans or condensate drain pan
- Return and supply air ducts
- Heat exchangers
- Cooling and heating coils
- Air handling the unit housing
In the United States, indoor air pollution is considered as the number one environmental health peril. And cleaning air ducts has said to greatly lessen the indoor air contaminant. This is beneficial as it makes your home a comfortable and healthier home to live.
Also, when the air ducts are clean, you will be able to improve the efficiency of your HVAC system. It even allows the air to flow freely.
Certified Professional Services, Licensed & Insured
Attention To Details, Quality Assurance
Competitive Pricing, Affordable Quotes
Premium Customer Service, Prompt Responses
Prevent Air Duct Contamination
Whether you have decided to clean the air ducts in your household or not, sticking to excellent preventive maintenance is very important. In fact, this will help in minimizing and preventing duct contamination. Nevertheless, here are some tips that you need to take into consideration to prevent dirt, debris, and other contaminants from entering your HVAC system.
- Change filters on a regular basis or when they become clogged.
- If possible, use the air filter that is recommended by your HVAC system’s manufacturer.
- Make sure that there is no missing filter.
- Ask a pro to clean the drain pans and cooling oils, particularly if you are having a hard time maintaining them.
- During renovation or construction, we recommend that you seal off the return and supply registers. Also, don’t operate your HVAC system after cleaning up all the debris and dust.
- Vacuum or remove dust regularly. If possible, use a vacuum cleaner that uses a HEPA filter.
- If your heating system comes with in-duct dehumidification, make sure to maintain and operate the dehumidifier properly as advised by the manufacturer.
What Are the Common Signs That You Need to Your Clean Air Ducts?
- Visible Dirt and Dust
If you notice that dirt and debris start to come out from the vents, then it is an indication that you need to clean the duct immediately. However, it could be an indication of a major problem as well.
If you are using an air filter, always remember that there should not be visible debris development from the vents. But if there is something, you will need to inspect the filter if it fits properly and assess the HVAC system for damage.
- No air or old filter
If you haven’t changed your filter for quite some time or your HVAC system is running without a filter, you be cleaning your air ducts now. Remember that the main use of air filters is to stop debris and contamination of chemicals from entering the system. Thus, without an air filter, the duct may become overgrown with debris, dirt, and dust.
- Poor airflow
Another sign that you need to watch out for is poor or inconsistent airflow. If you notice that a certain place in your home is not getting the right air circulation it’s used to, then you will need an air duct cleaning.
- Mold Development
One of the problems that most homeowners are facing is mold. The good thing is that an HVAC system may help in getting rid of excess humidity. But if mold finds a way to develop inside your system, you’ll need to have the are ducts cleaned. Also, you should seek help from mold removal specialists to inspect why there’s mold development in your ducts since it could be an indication of a bigger problem, check out mold remediation services as well.
- Signs of Pest Infestation
Pests such as insects and rodents like to stay in a cool place. Thus, it is not surprising why they love to infest your air ducts. If you notice any sign of insect or rodent infestation particularly around your air filter or vent, you should consider air duct cleaning or if you just want to get rid of any infestation then check pest control services.
- Strange Sounds
If you notice strange sounds coming from the vents, it could be a sign that the air is not flowing freely. Sometimes, it could be a sign of a major issue. Fortunately, cleaning your air ducts may help in identifying the primary cause.
- Hight Electric Bills
Does your monthly electric bill has increased drastically? If yes, there is something wrong with the air ducts. The wrong flow of air from messy ductwork may cause the HVAC system to work much harder in order to heat or cool the home. Having your air ducts cleaned properly may help in improving your system’s health which may result in a lower energy bill. You may also want to check out HVAC Services and Repairs if you think your HVAC System isn’t working.
What To Expect During an Air Duct Cleaning
If you are working with a reliable and skilled service provider, usually he opens doors or access ports to let your whole HVAC system to be inspected and cleaned. But aside from that, the service provider will also do the following tasks.
- Check the HVAC system before cleaning to make sure that there is no material that contains asbestos in the system. This is because such materials need specialized procedures. Also, they shouldn’t be removed or disturbed except by equipped and trained contractors.
- Exhaust particles outside your household using a vacuum that uses a HEPA filter.
- During cleaning, the service provider will protect home furnishings as well as carpeted floors.
- Take extra precaution in order to protect the ductwork such as re-insulating and sealing access holes.
- Use brushes with soft bristles for sheet metal ducts and fiberglass duct board.
- In combination with the contact vacuum cleaning, the service provider will make use of a well-controlled brush to remove particles like dust, debris, and dirt.
Professionals conducting such a service will follow the standards of NADCA when it comes to air duct cleaning. Not only that, but they also follow the practice recommended by NAIMA for ducts made of fiberglass duct board or ducts with fiberglass lining.
Air Duct Cleaning: How Much Does It Cost?
On average, an air duct cleaning will cost you about $400. However, there are some factors that will affect the cost of cleaning your air ducts. The following are the factors that will determine how much you will need to invest.
- The number of vents installed in your home. Every vent that needs to be removed and ducts that need to cleaner, you can expect to pay an additional $30-$40 for every vent.
- How messy the ductwork is? As a general rule of time, the dirtier the ducts the more it’ll cost you. For a deep clean, usually, it will cost about $100.
- If your furnace or HVAC system is difficult to access, a higher labor cost or additional charges may be included.
- The number of hours the service provider takes finish the entire job.
- If the system has damaged, it may be concealed by the air duct cleaning. Keep in mind that it is an expensive repair, however, it could be necessary.
If you want your air ducts to be cleaned professionally you can expect to pay about $500. But anything lower than the national average which is $366 must be avoided because of possible scams.
How Often Should an Air Duct Be Cleaned
Ideally, you need to clean the air ducts of your home every 5 to 8 years. On the other hand, homeowners, with pets, kids, and people suffering from respiratory problems or have a poor immune system can clean their dust system more often to ensure high-quality indoor air.
How Long Does A Ductwork Cleaning Take?
Usually, the air duct system of a single-family household takes around 2 to 4 hours to clean with two technicians working. However, old homes and homes with animals may take a bit longer to clean. but condominium, newer homes, and townhomes can be cleaned in just a short time.
How to Choose an Air Duct Cleaning Service Provider?
If you have decided to hire professionals who will clean your air ducts, be wary as there are service providers who take advantage of homeowners’ fear of pollutants, allergens, and even mold. Some even offer a free inspection, but they will collect a lot of fees as soon as the job started.
To prevent this from happening you need to make sure that you end up with a reliable service provider.
The good thing is that there are a few methods that you can use like finding professionals through Local Services Helpline. In fact, this website is known as the top provider of experts specializing in air duct cleaning in Canada and the USA.
The professionals recommended by Local Services Helpline are trained and capable of performing a thorough cleaning of your air ducts. They can also guarantee you that they will get rid of pollutants in your indoor air and ductwork such as bacteria, mold, and dust.
In addition to that, these service providers will help you in maintaining your air ducts for optimal performance and longer lives.
Get in touch with these service providers by visiting LocalServicesHelpline.com.